CHEAP TRICKS

Design, fashion, collectibles and craft ideas that make cents.

Pages


Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 9, 2010

Mad about hats

There's something to be said about the days when hats were haute couture.
Frankly, I think their popularity in olden times was to cover up bad hair days. Back then, women, for the most part, had longer hair but didn't have the convenience of a daily shower to keep it looking clean and fresh.
Whatever reason for the popularity , there certainly was something regal about a hat, whether it was a pillbox from the 1950s or a cloche from the 1920s.
I've managed to pick up a few choice selections of vintage hats during my inspections of antique shops. I use hats, antique purses, formal gloves and even a mink stole and coat to decorate my bedroom. It's fun to accessorize with vintage clothing, especially things you can actually wear out on special occasions.
I have a guest bedroom where I keep my collection of children's plates and antique toys. There, I've accessorized with some adorable vintage children's and baby's clothes.
You can hang them off closet doors or on racks and they are relatively inexpensive to collect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

LinkWithin

An unusual straw crucifix

An unusual straw crucifix

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

Three vintage wooden santos

Three vintage wooden santos

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

wax saint dolls

wax saint dolls