CHEAP TRICKS

Design, fashion, collectibles and craft ideas that make cents.

Pages


Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 2, 2010

Dress up plain wood furniture

When I told you I like to do things cheap, I wasn't kidding you.
I picked up my kitchen table and chairs for a song at an unfinished wood furniture outlet because they'd been on display and were a bit battle-scarred. My kitchen china cabinet, where I display my collection of beloved 1930s and '40s Fiestaware, was a yard sale find at $50. Both were plain pine, but not for long.
I began collecting colorful pints of paint I found on discount on the "Oops Shelf" at Walmart. That's the paint that someone had mixed and decided they didn't like the color. Walmart marks it down to half price so a $6.97 can of paint is less than $4. I chose '50s colors that would complement my Fiestaware and painted each of my four chairs and each leg of my kitchen table a different color. Then I chose my favorite paint color, kind of an aqua blue, to paint the cabinet. I trimmed it out with a rose-red color.
I added a 1950s tablecloth with matching colors, and the result was exactly what I was looking for. Mundane wood pieces were given a colorful facelift, and took the spotlight away from my detested kitchen floor, tiled in a pastel pink and blue. In fact, it helped make the floor fit in with the room's color scheme, which is really no color scheme at all, just color.
As for time, the entire project took all of three days so the results far outweighed the labor. Now I'm gathering up the courage to do something similar to my cream-colored outdated kitchen cabinets. I'll let you know if I decide to take the plunge.

1 comment:

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

LinkWithin

An unusual straw crucifix

An unusual straw crucifix

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

Three vintage wooden santos

Three vintage wooden santos

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

wax saint dolls

wax saint dolls