CHEAP TRICKS

Design, fashion, collectibles and craft ideas that make cents.

Pages


Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 9, 2010

Little things make a big statement

Ever since I was a little girl and received my first set of dollhouse furniture, I've been fascinated by miniature things.

There just seemed something magical, perhaps fairylike, about tiny versions of the real items. And, if the full-size things were difficult to create, how much more difficult were their miniature versions to make?

So, I keep my eye out for tiny, detailed miniature paintings and antique doll furniture made with the care and workmanship of the real thing. I've even been able to snag myself some precious carved meerschaum miniature religious sculptures under glass that must of required hours of work, an incredibly steady hand and a great eye for detail.

The nice thing about miniatures is they're just that -- miniature. They don't take up a lot of room so you don't have to worry about display space. In fact, some are so tiny, they get lost unless you display them in larger groups. I like to display my miniature paintings in little groups of three for more impact. I encased a group of meerschaum sculptures in tiny oval frames in a single display case for more visibility. My miniature dressers adorn side tables throughout my house and serve as storage for small things like barrettes for my poodle, rubber bands and playing cards.

Depending on the age, artist and materials, miniatures can get pretty pricey. But there are still some bargains around if you look hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

LinkWithin

An unusual straw crucifix

An unusual straw crucifix

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

Three vintage wooden santos

Three vintage wooden santos

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

wax saint dolls

wax saint dolls