CHEAP TRICKS

Design, fashion, collectibles and craft ideas that make cents.

Pages


Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Baby plates a cute collectible at any age

I was pregnant with my son when a friend gave me my first antique baby plate for a shower gift.
I fell in love with the nursery rhyme theme, the old-fashioned artwork and the patina of the piece, and just had to have more to decorate my vintage-style nursery.
Well, my son is now 15 years old, and I'm still collecting baby plates and feeding cups. However, they no longer adorn my son's room. I've transferred my collection to a guest bedroom with a vintage juvenile theme where my antique children's plates are showcased on the walls, on shelves and inside a shabby chic pea green cabinet with shelves lined with vintage tatted lace.
While I've been able to acquire a few of the pricier Victorian ABC plates that are so coveted by collectors, the bulk of my collection consists of English painted nursery rhyme plates, which are much more affordable than the older transferware pieces.
English pieces made by Doulton, Wedgewood, Burslem, Wood & Sons and Burlington in the 1930s and 40s as well as plates made in Germany and unmarked vitreous American warming dishes are quite plentiful and can be purchased for less than $30 if you shop around.
Since there is such a variety, some people choose a theme, collecting only ABC plates or BunnykinsRoyal Doulton Bunnykins: A Charlton Standard Catalogue, Third Edition children's dishes. I collect only dishes with nursery rhymes on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

LinkWithin

An unusual straw crucifix

An unusual straw crucifix

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

Three vintage wooden santos

Three vintage wooden santos

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

wax saint dolls

wax saint dolls