CHEAP TRICKS

Design, fashion, collectibles and craft ideas that make cents.

Pages


Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stainless steel transformation

Our house came with an old 1980s Frigidaire refrigerator and dishwasher in the ivory color so popular to the decade.
The look was very outdated. Unfortunately, Frigidaire made some hardy products. They still worked perfectly well and, with so many other home improvement needs, we couldn't justify the expense of buying new appliances.
I was perusing the goodies at the Home Depot one day when I spotted a stainless steel paint made especially for outdated appliances like mine. The instructions said I could transform my mundane appliances into gleaming stainless steel appliances with no more than a paintbrush, sandpaper and coat of polyurethane.
The paint kit wasn't cheap -- $25. But compared to the price of new appliances, it was a bargain. I decided to give it a try.
After thoroughly cleaning my appliances, I gave them a light sanding as instructed so the paint would adhere. The instructions suggested using a small roller to apply the oil based paint. I used a crafts paint brush to paint the handle and the tight spots in between the refrigerator door and the seal.
After the first coat had been applied, I was dismayed at the results. The paint didn't begin the cover the old ivory appliance. I re-read the instructions, which assured me it would take another coat to thoroughly cover the old refrigerator and dishwasher. Someone lied. It actually took three coats and an entire weekend of work because the oil-based paint needed to dry in between.
But once all three coats were on, followed by a coat of polyurethane to seal the paint, I had the look of stainless steel appliances. Just don't look too closely or you can tell they've been painted.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate the product about a 7 for ease of application and effectiveness. Frankly, I'd rather have the real stainless steel appliances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

LinkWithin

An unusual straw crucifix

An unusual straw crucifix

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

Three vintage wooden santos

Three vintage wooden santos

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

wax saint dolls

wax saint dolls