CHEAP TRICKS

Design, fashion, collectibles and craft ideas that make cents.

Pages


Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Open the door to a whole new look in cabinets

As I discussed in my first post, one of the things I disliked about our home when we purchased it were the outdated 1980s European-style cabinets in the kitchen and three bathrooms.
You've seen the kind of cabinets I'm talking about. Mine were ivory laminate with a strip of inset oak wood at the top used to open the drawers and cabinets, instead of hardware. They just didn't fit in with the traditional look I was after. But, with a limited budget for home renovations, replacing or refacing the cabinetry wasn't an option in the near future. I either had to live with the outdated cabinets or try to disguise them.
My remedy proved to be an easy one, requiring only a few feet of decorative trim from Home Depot, some antique hardware purchased at a yard sale and a bit of paint.
For the master and upstairs bathrooms, which have a more formal look, I chose a decorative rope trim approximately the width of the oak trim. I used a hand saw to cut the trim the length of each cabinet door and drawer. I then attached the trim directly on top of the oak pulls, first with wood glue and then with finishing nails to secure the pieces. I then sanded the laminate and painted it and the trim with an ivory paint. To give it an aged appearance, I painted over the entire surface again with a dark brown watered-down paint that I then wiped off, leaving the dark paint in the grooves of the trim. Next, I measured and drilled holes in the cabinet drawers and doors for the antique hardware I'd purchased, and installed the new decorative pulls. With new "old-fashioned" faucets installed with the help of my husband, the result was even better than I expected. No one looking at the cabinetry could tell it camouflaged ugly European cabinets.
For the downstairs guest bathroom off the family room, which has a more casual decor, I chose to frame the cabinet doors and drawer with plain, flat 1-inch-wide wood pieces. And since the pieces were unadorned, I didn't even have to worry about cutting them at 45-degree angles.
Because the wood pieces were wider than the inset oak pulls, I couldn't nail them directly on top of the oak so I glued and nailed them just below the old oak pulls. I then disguised the old pulls by painted it the same ivory as the rest of the cabinet and antiquing it with a darker paint. You can still see the indentations of the oak pulls, but they're hardly noticeable.
I liked the look so much, I plan to do the same for my kitchen cabinets. It'll be a lot more work but the result and savings will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

An icon and a meerschaum holy water font

LinkWithin

An unusual straw crucifix

An unusual straw crucifix

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

An articulated St. Francis of Assisi

Three vintage wooden santos

Three vintage wooden santos

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

A German wax baby Jesus on a bed of straw

wax saint dolls

wax saint dolls